My name is Gillian Del Zotto and I am a Canadian who recently moved to New York City. Moving to New York in 2012 was such an eye opener for me. I was like a kid in a candy store (the wide-eyed, mouth open, salivating kind). Suddenly, I was living in one of the most fast paced and driven cities in the world….the kind that keeps you awake at night daydreaming of the possibilities. I was instantly motivated and determined to keep up (although I quickly learned this is next to impossible :))
I never imagined that I would get to experience my dream of living in New York City, a city that has so much culture and diversity. When I was younger, I visited New York several times on family holidays and I would always tell my family that I wanted to live here one day, only I never imagined it would become a reality. I’ve also wanted to start a blog for some time now but was terrified of putting myself out there and of feeling vulnerable. But eventually I realized that blogging didn’t have to be so serious. I could do it just for fun and most importantly, for myself. Besides, what better place to start a blog than New York?!
In 2015, I got my first taste of the blogging world. I worked as an intern for an experienced blogger and instantly realized how much I loved it. Blogging is such a fun way for people to express themselves no matter what their blog is about. Somehow, through pictures and stories, you feel like you actually know a person. Blogging truly felt like my calling (even though, for me, writing has never been my strongest suit). But it only encouraged me to learn more and hopefully improve my writing skills along the way. With a degree majoring in Art & Design, I wanted my blog to be creative, not only through fashion and lifestyle, but as a form of art as well. I especially love seeking out opportunities for creativity through photographs…. like the old saying “making something out of nothing.”
I’m quirky, fun and I hope that’s portrayed through my blog. Keep reading if you want to know more facts about me…
11 Interesting things about myself
- I am terrified of flying! Flying is the one of those things that does not make sense to me. How can SO many people with so much luggage be lifted in the air and not completely fall from the sky? I’m that passenger during takeoff with my head hanging in the aisle watching intently to see if the flight attendants make any sort of nervous gestures. Fortunately, once the seatbelt sign is lifted, I’m a new person. Wine, please!
- I am Canadian born and grew up in the interior of British Columbia in a beautiful City called Kamloops.
- My favorite party drink of choice is a cold, crisp Pinot Grigio.
- My biggest pet peeve is loud chewing. For some reason it just makes my skin crawl.
- I LOVE candy! Anyone who knows me knows that I’m obsessed with candy. Pretty much every kind. Some of my all-time favorites are Jelly Belly’s, Sour Soothers, Sour Patch Kids, well the list could go on and on! My mouth is watering as I type this 😉
- I used to be obsessed with crutches. Yes, I’m talking about the kind that you’re forced to use when injured. The only problem is that I wanted a pair even when I wasn’t injured. But that didn’t stop me from asking Santa for a pair as an 8 year old….and Santa came through! I ended up using them so often that I developed blisters under my arms.
- Remember when I said I’m quirky? I wasn’t kidding. I once had a near death experience thanks to another one of my obsessions, only this time it was a retainer. You know, the kind used to correct crooked teeth? The long and the short of it is that I didn’t agree when my dentist told me that I didn’t need braces…because that meant no retainer either. SO I decided to build my own. Shortly thereafter, I wound up in the hospital after nearly choking to death on my DIY “retainer”. A piece of metal slipped down my throat and I had to be put under a general anesthetic to have said “retainer” dislodged from my sternum. Moral of the story, not all DIY projects are productive.
- Did I mention I love a good DIY project? Whether it be painting, sewing, crafting, or building…even hair and makeup. I’m inspired by so many things! I also tend to be impatient when I want something so I’ll find a way to create it on my own. For example, when my husband left town for a weekend, our bedroom furniture was its usual dark espresso brown. When he arrived home two days later it was a distressed white. Like I said, quick and efficient.
- I love designing and sewing my own handbags. This is one of the reasons that I’m so drawn to fashion and blogging. I recently broke my sewing machine from sewing through too much leather. The more I learned about fashion, the more I started to see it as a form of art, rather than materialistic pieces in ones closet. The detail and time spent in designing so many beautiful shoes, bags and clothing is an art that I truly appreciate.
- I secretly love a good rap track. I also like to sit on the subway and try to imagine what type of music I think people are listening to in their headphones.
- I married the most wonderful man. In summer of 2013, I married the most kind hearted and loving husband I could ever imagined marrying. One who knew how badly I wanted to do a blog and has given me the nudge to make it a reality. He is one of those miracles that make you wonder where you’d be without them.